On Sunday November 22, 2009, St. Andrew Lutheran Church celebrated its 85th anniversary with a special service followed by a celebratory luncheon.

Presiding at the service was Bishop Leonard Bolick, Reverend George Simmons (current minister), Reverend Malcom Lerch(former minister). Special music was provided by the chancel choir and The Alleluia Ringers under the direction of Mrs. Pat Meinecke. Accompanist, Jack Davis played the oldest pipe organ West of Asheville which was purchased in the 1920's for $2,400.00.

The children of the church, Chris Currin, Allison Griggs, Erika Griggs, Katie Beth Klos, Savannah and Andrew Horton presented the cross, the torches, the Bible and the new communion ware. The new communion ware was dedicated in memory of Mrs. Florence Ondich and credence tables made by Mr. Charles Price were also dedicated.

The luncheon followed in the fellowship hall, which was decorated with a fall motif to follow our theme of "St. Andrew Lutheran Church - sowing seeds for a bountiful harvest since 1924". Mrs. Eleanor Ennis, the only living charter member, was honored with a corsage of yellow roses. Everyone enjoyed the delicious meal which was catered by Chestnut's Café. The celebration ended with a wonderful cake provided by Amazing Flowers.

St. Andrew Lutheran Church was started in 1924 by the F.P. Cover Family. The Cover family has continued to support the church over the years with the addition of a parsonage in the 1930s. The parsonage was replaced with a fellowship hall in 2000, made possible through a trust gift from Mary Frances Cover.

Eleanor Ennis, direct descendant of the Cover family and a charter member, remains an active church member today. Her son Giles and daughter Ellaree, as well as their families are also active church members.

St. Andrew has been served by 23 ministers over the years. The current minister, Rev. George Simmons, has served more years at St. Andrew than any other minister.

Out-of-town guests and former members attending the celebration included: Rev. Malcom Lerch, Barbara Watry Thomas, Doris Peloquin, Haroldette Peloquin, and Debbie Ondich.